ASO Ken Clare Award 2023
ASO Ken Clare Award for excellence in patient and public involvement and engagement with obesity research 2023
The Association for the Study of Obesity is offering this new award in recognition of the work of Ken Clare to encourage and recognise the patient and public involvement and engagement with obesity research. It will be awarded to a member of the ASO who, acting individually or representing a team, has undertaken and continues to undertake excellent patient and public involvement and/or engagement.
The value of the award is £500, which will be presented to the submitting author or be split between any ASO members within the winning team, at the ASO conference – UK Congress on Obesity (UKCO) 2023, Belfast Northern Ireland.
The winning recipient, or one person representing the winning team, will have reasonable expenses to attend the conference reimbursed. Please note that award winners from outside the UK will only be paid at their requested currency equivalent for any travel expenses within the UK.
- The project/work must involve involvement of people living with overweight or obesity with research or the engagement of members of the public with an area of obesity research.
- The project/work must be current or have been conducted in the last 2 years.
The scope is wide so all entries will be considered.
Applications for the award will be judged on the following criteria:
- the description of the work in the application.
- how well the work meets professional guidelines and the needs of populations or individuals (if a needs assessment was conducted this should be described in the application).
- has furthered knowledge and/or practice in the field of obesity treatment and/or prevention.
- the sustainability of the work.
- methods used to monitor and evaluate the work.
- innovation and collaboration.
- ethics and/or public accountability.
To be eligible for the Award the applicant should be a current member of the ASO. Submissions from non-members are also welcome as long as an application for ASO membership is submitted with the Ken Clare award submission.
The application deadline for ASO Ken Clare Award will be 31st July 2023. The successful applicant(s) will be notified shortly after. The submitting author or a representative of the winning group will be asked to present on the 14th September at the UKCO 2023 in Belfast, where they will also be presented with their Award.
The award will be decided by a Selection Panel of ASO Trustees and assessed against the stated criteria for this award.